What is the SEMI S2 Safety Guideline?
The SEMI S2 Safety Guideline, commonly referred to as the SEMI S2 Safety Standard, is the Environmental, Safety, and Health Guideline for semiconductor equipment. The S2 Guideline is considered the core guideline of the SEMI “S Series”, meaning that all other S series Guidelines can be viewed as supporting the S2 Guideline.
The purpose of the S2 Guideline is to ensure that semiconductor manufacturing equipment is compliant with current best safety practice in the industry . To prove compliance, an assessment of the equipment is performed and a detailed report is provided.
The SEMI S2 Safety Guideline is driven by the end user, not the government. Because SEMI Safety Guidelines are internationally recognized, complying with the S2 Guideline contributes to the marketability of your product. Most purchasers of semiconductor and flat panel manufacturing and inspection tools require a SEMI S2 Report before purchasing equipment to validate the equipment’s safety and design.
How to Know if the SEMI S2 Guideline is Applicable to Your Equipment
The S2 Guideline applies to the vast majority of products in the semiconductor manufacturing industry. SEMI S2 is relevant to both the hardware components and the integrated systems supporting semiconductor fabrication; the scope of SEMI S2 spans the installation, operation, and maintenance phases. If your equipment is intended for use in semiconductor manufacturing, the SEMI S2 Guideline likely applies to your equipment.
Benefits of Working with TI
- Save time and money
- Conduct testing at your facility
- Objective regulatory advice on all aspects of machinery safety–get it all done right, once
- Assessments you can rely on–expert knowledge of the SEMI S2 Guideline
- Impartial inspections, risk assessment, testing, and inspections you can trust
- Peace of mind knowing that you’re working with industry experts
- Development of cost-effective compliance strategies
- We’ll come out to your facility
- Design Evaluation
- Risk Analyses
- Safety Testing
- Additional testing/evaluation/analysis as needed
- We’ll provide you with an S2 report and certificate
We have extensive experience in assessing semiconductor equipment, including:
- CV-IV probes
- Flat panel glass handlers
- Acoustic microscopes
- Wet benches
- Photolithography equipment
- Storage systems
- Pick and place equipment
- CT scanners
- Material handlers
- Circuit board and on-wafer bond testers
- Ellipsometric porosimetry
- Auto reel changers
- Epitaxial reactors
Frequently Asked Questions About the SEMI S2 Safety Guideline
SEMI S2 compliance is critical for manufacturers because it ensures their equipment meets internationally recognized safety standards. It enhances the market acceptance of a product by proving it’s of high quality and safe for operators to use.
Yes, SEMI S2 addresses environmental safety concerns related to semiconductor equipment. It provides guidelines for emissions, waste management, and other environmental impacts.
Non-compliance can result in equipment rejection, decreased market access for manufacturers, and compromised safety for operators.
Latest News & Articles
- What You Need to Know About the New Machinery Regu…November 29, 2023The Machinery Directive has regulated the health and safety requirements of machinery sold in the European Union since 2006. However, the Machinery Read More
- What is UKCA Marking?June 7, 2023As of January 1st, 2021, the UK has a new compliance scheme for products and marking requirements. This is important for manufacturers placing Read More
- What Is EMC Testing?June 7, 2023Electromagnetic Compatibility testing, also known as EMC testing, has become important to design engineers all over the world. It relates to the Read More